What Emotional and Social Development support do we have for a child with a SEND?2019-11-13T09:00:36+00:00

We recognise that pupils with SEND may well have Emotional and Social Development needs that will require support in school.

    • The emotional health and well-being of all our pupils is very important to us.
    • We have a robust Safeguarding Policy in place; we follow National & LAGuidelines.
    • We have a robust Pastoral Care Discipline Policy in place, which promotespositive behaviour management.
    • The Head teacher, Senior Leadership Team and all staff continually monitor theemotional health and well-being of all our pupils.
    • We are an Anti-bullying school and currently hold the Gold Anti bullying award.
    • Staff hold regular ‘key worker’ sessions in Class with smaller groups of children toaddress personal and social emotional aspects of learning.
How will we support your child when they are leaving this school? or moving on to another class?2019-11-13T08:59:59+00:00

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible. If your child is moving to another school we will:

  • contact the school SENDCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
  • make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible

    When moving classes in school:

    • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most

      cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. Personalised

      learning plans and IEP s will be shared with the new teacher.

    • Staff from your child’s new year group will visit them in their current year group

      and there will be induction visits for your child to their new environment so positive relationships are continued and familiar settings are established. Parents/ carers will also be invited to meet key staff.

  • If your child would be helped by a book to support them to help with understanding moving on, then it will be made for them.

    In Year 2:

  • The Inclusion Manager will discuss the specific needs of your child with the

    SENDCO of their transition school.

  • Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in

    some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.

How is Barnes Infant Academy accessible to children with SEND?2019-11-13T08:59:26+00:00
  • The building is accessible via a ramp at the main Office entrance
  • Electronic doors are in operation at the main entrance
  • We have a disabled toilet on the ground floor of the school, with a shower.
  • There is a disabled car-parking bay
  • We ensure, wherever possible that equipment used is accessible to all children,

    regardless of their needs

  • After school provision is accessible to all children, including those with SEND
  • Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND
What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with a SEND?2019-11-13T08:59:03+00:00

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.

  • The Inclusion Manager/ SENDCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • The Headteacher and Family Support Worker are available to offer support and advice.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • Personal learning plans and targets/IEPs will be reviewed with your involvement.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.
  • A home/school contact book is used with agreement to support communication
How will we measure the progress of your child in school?2019-11-13T08:58:35+00:00

Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.

    • His/her progress is reviewed formally with the Senior Leadership Team every half

      term in reading, writing and numeracy.

    • If your child is in Year 1 or above, more sensitive assessment tools can be used,

      breaking learning into smaller steps, which shows their attainment in more detail (PIVATs- Performance Indicators for Value Added Target Setting), which are based on P scales).

    • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and the results are published nationally.
    • Children may have an individual personalised learning plan with personal targets which will be reviewed, and a future plan made. Personalised learning plans are designed to accelerate learning and close any gaps. Progress against these specific targets will be reviewed regularly, evidence for judgements assessed and future plans and next steps defined.
    • The progress of children with a statement of SEND/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review, with all adults involved with the child’s education.
    • The SENDCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.
    • Regular book scrutinies and lesson observations will be carried out by the SENDCo and members of the Senior Leadership team to ensure that the needs of all children are met and that the quality of teaching for all children is consistently high.
How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?2019-11-13T10:29:45+00:00

Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.

    • Support staff, under the direction of the class teacher, can adapt planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
    • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
    • Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs.
How are the teachers in school helped to work with SEND children and what training do they have?2019-11-13T08:57:08+00:00
  • The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Speech and language difficulties.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g. from the Autism Outreach Team (AOT) service.
Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in this school?2019-11-13T08:56:44+00:00

School provision

  • Nursery Nurses/ Teaching Assistants / Learning Support
  • Breakfast club / After school club
  • School clubs
  • Family Support worker

    Local Authority Provision delivered in school

      • Autism Outreach Service
      • Educational Psychology Service
      • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
      • Language and Learning T eam
      • Parent Partnership team

        Health Provision delivered in school

      • Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school.
  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
How is extra support allocated to children and how do they progress in their learning?2019-11-13T10:30:33+00:00
  • The school budget, received from the Education Funding Agency, includes money for supporting children with SEND.
    • The Head Teacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.
    • The Head Teacher and the Inclusion manager/ SENDCo discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:- the children receiving extra support already
      – the children needing extra support
      – the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would

      be expected and decide what resources/training and support is needed. – the child’s view will be sought informally and for review meetings

      Schools identify the needs of their pupils on a school provision map which for SEND pupils identifies all resources/training and ensures support is reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.

  • How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?2019-11-13T08:54:26+00:00
    • If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.
    • If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to the Special Education Needs/ Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo) or Headteacher.
    • The school SEND Governor can also be contacted for support.
    What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in our school?2019-11-13T08:53:40+00:00

    a) Class teacher input via targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).
    For your child this would mean:

    • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
    • That all teaching is challenging, well-matched to your child’s needs and is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
    • That different ways and strategies of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve using more practical learning and experiences, using computer software and/or a visual timetable.
    • That specific strategies (which will be discussed with the SENDCo) are in place to support your child to learn.
    • Your child’s teacher will carefully check on your child’s progress and will identify any gaps in your child’s understanding/learning which would be supported by some additional resources or provision to help your child make the best possible progress.

      Specific targeted group work intervention may:

      • Take place in the classroom or outside the classroom.
      • Be led by a teacher or a qualified support assistant.

        b) Specialist groups run by outside agencies For your child this would mean;

      • Extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may e.g. be from a speech and language therapist or the Autism Outreach Service.
      • Input from Local Authority central services such as the Sensory Service ( for students with a hearing or visual need)


    Specialist support from outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service (EPS).

    c) Specified Individual support

    • This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are, severe,

      complex and lifelong.

    • This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This

      means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a

      particularly high level of individual or small group teaching.

    • This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that

      cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups. Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school.

      For your child this would mean:

    • The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a

      statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out

      the amount of support that will be provided for your child.

    • After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of

      information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.

    • After the reports have all been sent in, the ‘Panel of Professionals’ will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case they will write an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
    • The EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.
    • The additional adult time allocated may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.
    Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or disability (SEND)?2022-07-13T15:07:50+00:00

    The Class teacher;
    Responsible for:

    • Teaching and supporting the best possible progress of your child, including identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support)
    • Liaising with the School’s Special Education Needs/Disabilities Coordinators (SENDCo/Inclusion Managers)
    • Meeting with you at least once a term to discuss progress made, agree next steps and share your child’s individualised learning plan. This review enables targets to be planned for the next term to facilitate personalised teaching and learning for your child.
    • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.The SENDCo / Inclusion Manager;
      The school’s Sendco’s are Miss Robinson and Mrs Fucile. They work closely with Mrs Rushworth (Foundation Stage Leader) to identify any needs as soon as possible to ensure provision supports early development,Responsible for:
    • Developing and reviewing the school’s SEND policy
    • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)Ensuring that you are ;
      i) involved in supporting your child’s learning
      ii) kept informed about the support your child is getting iii) involved in reviewing how they are doing.
    • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into to school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc.
    • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
    • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

    The Headteacher – Ms R Whiteside Responsible for:

    • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
    • The Headteacher will delegate responsibility to the SENDCo/Inclusion Manager and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
    • The Headteacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.

    The school contact telephone number is 0191 525 1203

    Go to Top